Tamilnadu - Tamilnadu Districts - Ramanathapuram - Ramanathapuram District
Ramanathapuram District is an administrative district of Tamil Nadu state in southern India. The city of Ramanathapuram is the district headquarters.
Ramanthapuram District has an area of 4123 km². It is bounded on the north by Sivaganga District, on the northeast by Pudukkottai District, on the east by the Palk Strait, on the south by the Gulf of Mannar, on the west by Thoothukudi District, and on the northwest by Virudhunagar District. The district contains the Indian portion of Pamban's Bridge, an east-west chain of low islands and shallow reefs that extend between India and the island nation of Sri Lanka, and separate the Palk Strait from the Gulf of Mannar. The Palk Strait is presently navigable only by shallow-draft vessels.
In early 12th century Qutbul Hamid, Ghosul Hamid Hazrat Badhushah Sulthan SYED IBRAHIM Shaheedh came from medinah saudhi arabia to india through Kannanur, kerala and crossed through various parts of Madurai and Ramnad districts. Vikrama pandiyan the then, ruler of bouthiramanickapattinam fought with Syed Ibrahim badushah rigorously for 10 days, and finally Hazrath Syed Ibrahim shaheedh was defeated.
The early 15th Century the present territories of Ramanathapuram district comprising of taluks Tiruvadanai, Paramakudi, Kamuthi, Mudukulathur, Ramanathapuram and Rameswaram were included in Pandiyan Kingdom. For a short period, this area was under the Chola Kings when Rajendra Chola brought it under his territory in 1063 AD. In 1520 AD., the Nayaks of Vijayangar took over this area under their control from the Pandiyan dynasty for about two centuries, Marava chieftains-Sethupathis who were Lords under Pandiyan Kings and reigned over this part (17th century). At the beginning of the 18th century, family disputes over succession resulted in the division of Ramanathapuram.
In 1795, the British deposed Muthuramalinga Sethupathy and took control of the administration of Ramanathapuram. In 1803 Mangaleswari Nachiyar was made the Zamindar of Sivagangai After passing of Queen, the Marudhu Brothers took the charge by paying regular revenue to the East India company. In 1801 the Marudhu Brothers of Sivaganga revolted against the British in collaboration with Kattabomman of Panchalamkurichi. Colonel Agnew captured Marudhu Brothers and hanged them and made Gowri Vallbah Periya Udaya Thevar as Zamindar of Sivaganga. After the fall of Tippu Sultan, British took the control and imprisoned the Nawab. In 1792 the Zamindari system was abolished and a British Collector was appointed for administration.
After the period of sethupathis, In 1910, Ramanathapuram was formed by clubbing portions from Madurai and Tirunelveli district. This district was named as Ramanathapuram. During the British period this district was called "Ramnad". The name continued after independence. Later the district was renamed as Ramanathapuram to be in conformity with the Tamil Name for this region.
Now Chittarkottai is a Panchayat in the district.