Nadu Tourism - - Madurai Churches
is recorded that Madurai was captured by the British
in 1763 and detachment of European Troops came to be stationed in the
town. Rev.Schwarts, the famous missionary in Tanjore
was now and then ministering to the congregation in Madurai. Rev.Fredrick
who followed him later planned to build a church on behalf of the S.P.C.K.(Society
for Propagation of Christian Knowledge). A small church was built
in 1800. This chapel has been described as a small building and a very
In 1822, the Europeans in Madurai
and other Christians of the Anglican persuasion desired to build a bigger
church to meet their growing needs. Mrs.Sophia Elizabeth Rash, then a
resident of Madurai possessed some land within the fort
and was willing to sell it for a small sum if a church was built upon
it. Mr. Daniel Burby, a writer in the collector's office purchased as
much as would be required for the church for Rs.164/= in October 1824
and made it over to the Tanjore Mission. Then a collection
was made in the station and a sum of Rs.153/= was raised. The then Collector,
Mr. Rhouse Peter (also known as Peter Pandian) added Rs.1,100/= to this;
and a chapel was built in 1827 on the site purchased by Mr.Burby. This
new church was owned and managed by the Tanjore Mission of S.P.C.K.
In 1868 the S.P.C.K. conveyed the above
building to the Bishop of Madras to be held in Trust
by him for the purpose of the Church of England. In 1869, Mr.Robert Fischer
of Madurai wrote to the Bishop of Madras and placed Rs.1,000/= at his
disposal for the improvement and enlargement of the existing chapel or
for the erection of a new one. Eventually it was decided that the old
church should be demolished and a new one built on the same site.
The foundation stone of the new church
was laid on 2nd June, 1875 by Colonel J.F.Fisher, R.E., the District Engineer.
The design was prepared by Mr.R. Chisholn, consulting architect to the
Government of Madras. The whole expenditure incurred on the building and
furniture was Rs.40,000/=.
The sale price of the materials of the
old church amounted to Rs.470/=. The whole cost was borne
by Mr.Robert Fisher and his sister Mrs.Jessie Foulkes, wife of a Madras
chaplain. The new church was consecrated on the 15th of June,1881.
The church is built of black stones and it is all called "Stone Church".
The building measured 50 feet length, 25 feet breadth and a 7 feet wide
verandah on both sides. The graves of Mr.Rhouse Peter and George Fredrick
Fisher with tomb stones are located in a chamber beneath the Altar.
With the passage of time the church was
found too small to hold the growing congregation. Consequently steps were
taken for extending the fabric of the church. Foundation
for the extension was laid in 1968 and the construction was completed
in 1970. The consecration took place on the 20th December,1970. In the
new church the altar has been shifted from the east to the west. A Community
Hall was constructed in 1994.
St. Mary's Cathedral Church
St. Mary's Cathedral,
East Veli Street, Madurai-1.
First Baptist Church Of Madurai
First Baptist Church Of Madurai Trust
No. 8, Bharatthiyar Second Street,
S. S. Colony, Madurai - 625 010.
Holy Rosary Church
Town Hall Road, Madurai-1.
||Name of the Chruch
| St.Andrew's Church, Nagamalai
|St.Peter's Church, Thiruppalai
|St.Thomas Church, Anna Nagar
|St.John's Church, Meenambalpuram
|Holy Immanuel Church, Paravai
|| Dr.Mahathman Rao
|Holy Trinity Church, Oomachikulam
|St.Paul's Church, Cannan Nagar
|| Mr.Sudhakaran Devaraj
|St.Mark's Church, Muthupatti
|Zion Prayer House, Sundarajanpatti
| St.Paul's Church,
| St.Mary's Church,
| Transfiguration Church,
| Sargunam Memorial Church,