Tamilnadu - Places in Tamilnadu - Nagapattinam - Places in Nagapattinam
Places of Interest Nagapattinam
1. Nagore: This town is 5 kms north of Nagapattinam. Irrespective of caste, creed and religion people offer their worship at the Islamic shrine here. The Kandhuri festival during October and November is very popular.
2. Velankanni This small town is situated on the coast of Bay of Bengal 14 kms south of Nagappattinam. The Arokiya Madha Church or the Velankanni Basilica here is a holy place for the Christians. However people of all religions offer their worship at this church. The festival during August and September is very famous.
3. Sikkal The Sikkal Shri Singaravelan temple is located 5 kms from Nagapattinam. The Tamil Shaivite saints Appar, Thirugnana Sambandar, Sundarar and Manickavasagar glorified this temple in their divine songs.
The festival, Soora Samharam is the most important festival celebrated in the month of Ippasi.
Sikkal is on the bus route from Nagappattinam to Thiruvarur. This place has an old Shiva Temple where Lord Muruga is worshipped in the form of Singaravelan.
4. Kodikkarai is 68 kms from Nagappattinam. This place is noted for the birds’ sanctuary. Muthupettai, a nearby town with its backwaters also attracts tourists.
5. Vedaranyam (Thirumaraikkadu) Vedaranyam lies at a distance of 58 Kms from Nagappattinam. The Vedaranyewarar temple here is worth mentioning. It is one of the Saptha Vidanga Thallams. The place is historically important because it was the centre stage of Salt Sathyagraha in South India, during freedom struggle.
6. Ettukkudi The distance between Nagappattinam and Ettukkudi is 28 kms. This old Murugan temple at Ettukkudi finds a place in hymns of the Saint Arunagirinathar.
7. Thirukkuvalai Tiruvarur lying at a distance of 27Kms. from Nagapattinam is one of theSapthavidanga thalams. The Thyagaraja Swamy temple and Angalamman temple are both well known.
8. Koothanur at a distance of 45 kms from Nagapattinam and is associated with the life of the great Tamil poet Ottakkoothar. This temple has a separate temple for Goddess Saraswathi, the goddess of learning and the fine arts.
9. Mannarkudi Mannarkudi situated at a distance of 56 kms from Nagapattinam is famous for the Vaishnava temple Rajagopalaswamy temple.
Prev << 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 >> Next